A high-level platform to generate ideas and content regarding cashless payments and promote constructive discussion between the business community and institutions in the spirit of developing concrete actions to benefit the nation.
The Observatory of the Cashless Society Community of The European House - Ambrosetti offers an overview on the dissemination of electronic payments in the world, in Europe and in Italy.
A "cashless society" is one in which cash, in the form of physical banknotes and coins, is not accepted in any financial transaction (source: Britannica). Since a cashless payment is made by card or electronic payment, it ensures a greater traceability, transparency and security.
Through the #CashlessRevolution campaing we inform and create awareness around benefits and misbeliefs on electronic payments.
8th Edition (2023)
On June 8, 2022, the 8th edition of the Cashless Community was kick-started. The members will take part in a number of thematic workshops and Advisory Boards to discuss the development of new payment solutions and consumer models oriented to a cashless society. The 2023 edition will end with a Round Table, traditionally held on the eve of the annual Workshop "The Outlook for the Economy and Finance" of The European House - Ambrosetti, on March 30, 2023.
Read all previous Reports
- Report 2021 Cashless Italy: Changes in progress and outlook for the future
- Report 2020 Towards the Cashless Revolution: progress made in Italy and what remains to be done
- Report 2019 Cashless revolution: where we stand and what remains to be done for Italy
- Report 2018 Cashless revolution: where we stand and what remains to be done for Italy
- Report 2017 Cashless revolution: where we stand and what remains to be done for Italy
- Report 2016 Cashless revolution: where we stand and what remains to be done for Italy
Cashless payment instruments are playing an increasingly central role in business and society. Italy can narrow the digital gap with other European countries by taking advantage of the opportunities offered by cashless payment systems to obtain major benefits: enhanced transaction security, reduction in the cost of money, surfacing of the underground economy and stimulus for consumption and business.